From The Woodford Dolmen
Environmental & sustainability
Environmental management policy
We recognise that our business has an important role to play in protecting and enhancing the environment for future generations and to help secure the long-term sustainability of the Tourism Industry.
To this end we the Woodford Dolmen Hotel are committed to taking the following action;
- To achieve sound environmental practices across our entire business.
- To provide sufficient resources to enable this policy to be implemented.
- To produce an annual Environmental Plan setting out our Objectives, Targets and Planned Actions.
- To comply fully with all relevant environmental legislation.
- To minimise our waste, reduce our water consumption and reduce our energy consumption where possible.
- To Reduce, Reuse, Recycle the resources consumed by our business wherever practical.
- To invite our customers, suppliers and contractors to participate in our efforts to protect the environment.
- To provide all employees with the training and resources required to meet our objectives.
- To openly communicate our policies and practices to interested parties.
- To monitor and record our environmental impacts on a regular basis and compare our performance with our policies, objectives and targets.
Environmental Improvement Actions we have taken here at the hotel includes
- Dedicated herb garden planted for us by chef in seasoning dishes
- Recycle food waste, teabag, coffee grounds and paper to create our own compost which is used in the gardens & flowerbeds.
- Waste separation bins around the hotel grounds for guest to separate & dispose of their rubbish & recyclable materials.
- Used battery collection point at reception for guests and staff use.
- Electronic invoices & receipts as standard, however where requested paper copies can be provided.
- Lost & found items are donated to local charity shops for resale
- Rainwater collection points in place. This water is used by the gardeners for watering flowerbeds & gardens during hot & dry seasons.
Sustainable Purchasing policy
At Woodford Dolmen Hotel, we recognise that as a responsible business we have an important role to play in protecting and enhancing the environment for future generations, while also securing the long-term sustainability of the tourism industry. Through a range of eco-friendly measures, we actively involve our staff and invite our guests and suppliers to help in achieving our green agenda. We seek to utilise a sustainable circular economy where possible in all aspects of our business. Our criteria for sustainable purchasing includes the following
- Discuss the supplier’s sustainability commitment and engage with them to reduce their packaging when supplying to us.
- Discuss with the supplier their method of delivery and packaging.
- Look at reducing energy and water consumption.
- Calculate the running cost of the product.
- Invite the supplier to take goods back and recycle them? If not, consideration is given to the cost and method of disposal.
- As a purchaser we consider our impact on the local and wider environment.
- Continually source the highest quality local produce and materials, supporting small and local businesses and producers as much as possible
- We aim to make a difference by buying products that show this commitment to animal welfare and environment friendly practices.
- We aim to reduce waste and other negative impacts on the environment.
- Where possible we will use fair trade produce.
Sustainable actions you can take
As a guest, there are some small actions you can take during your stay with us that will help us in reducing our production & consumption costs, thereby improving the sustainability of your stay.
- Turn off lights, TV & other electrical items when leaving your room. Removing your energy saving keycard from the keycard power switch will automatically cut the power, but if you leave this card in the box, then remember to switch things off manually.
- Turn off water, rather than leave it running when brushing teeth & washing hair as this will greatly reduce the water consumption per wash.
- To gain maximum effect, close all windows and doors in your room when the heating is on.
- It is the hotel’s policy to refresh linen on the 2nd morning of your stay if you are staying for multiple nights. However if you want these refreshed more or less please let our reception team know and our accommodation team will assist.