Experience the essence of summer with a delightful picnic in Carlow! Unwind and enjoy the warm weather with a memorable afternoon surrounded by nature. To ensure your picnic is a success, a little preparation goes a long way. Explore our curated selection of treats and snacks that are perfect for a summer picnic in Carlow.
If you’re short on time to prepare these delicious recipes, don’t worry! Pay a visit to our award-winning restaurant, where you can pick up picnic meals that the whole family will love. From freshly-made yogurts to irresistible fruit pots, we take pride in crafting these delightful dishes daily.
Fresh Fruit Salad
This is a great snack to enjoy on a picnic especially if you want something light and refreshing!
- 1 red or green apple
- 2 tangerines or small oranges, peeled
- 12 black or green grapes
- 1 medium banana, peeled
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled
- 1 large thick slice of pineapple, fresh or canned
- Wash the apple and then cut into quarters removing the core. Cut into chunks
- Divide the tangerines or oranges into segments
- Wash grapes and half each one
- Cut banana and kiwi fruit into slices
- Cut pineapple into chunks
- Place all fruit in the bowl, add the orange juice and mix well
Yogurt fruit cups
These easy make-ahead yogurt fruit cups with home-made fruit compote are perfect to enjoy on a summer picnic.
- 4 tbsp Granola
- 2 tsp Honey (optional)
- 1 handfull Mixed Berries such as blueberries and chopped strawberries
- 400 g Natural Yogurt or low-fat vanilla
1. Half fill a jam jar with the yogurt. Top with a few tablespoons of granola, then the berries. You don’t want to fill the jar all the way to the top, though, because you’ll need a little room to stir it up when you’re ready to eat. Finish with a drizzle of honey, if using, and screw on the lid. Alternatively, you could create layers of yogurt, granola, berries and honey instead. Place in the fridge overnight.
2. In the morning, pack the pots with an airtight container of carrot and cucumber batons and a bottle of cold water or unsweetened fruit juice. Don’t forget the spoon!
Pesto Chicken Salad
This Pesto Chicken Salad is the perfect quick and easy lunch to make and enjoy on a summer picnic.
- 50g couscous
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 2 tbsp fat-free yogurt
- 2 cooked skinless chicken breasts , shredded, or 200g leftover roast chicken, shredded
- ½ small bunch of basil, leaves picked and torn, plus a few small leaves to serve
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 2 sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and sliced
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, leaves separated
- 2 tsp toasted pine nuts
1. Put the couscous in a large heatproof bowl and cover with 100ml boiling water. Stir in 1 tbsp pesto. Cover and leave for 8 mins.
2. Fluff the couscous with a fork, then stir in the rest of the pesto, the yogurt and some seasoning. Toss in the chicken, basil, cucumber and tomatoes.
3. Spoon the couscous mix into the lettuce leaves and eat with your fingers, or serve over the lettuce like a salad. Scatter over the pine nuts and more basil before serving.
Greek Yogurt Dip
Greek Yogurt Dip is a creamy, tangy dip made with Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, garlic dill, and a splash of lemon juice. It offers a refreshing and flavourful combination of coolness from the cucumber, zesty notes from the lemon juice, and a hint of garlic.
This is perfect for dipping with crisps or sliced vegetables, and will be sure to add a refreshing touch to your summer picnic!
- 1 cup of Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 a cucumber, grated and excess liquid squeezed out
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, grated cucumber, minced garlic, chopped dill, and lemon juice. Mix up well.
- Season the dip with salt and pepper according to your taste. Start with a pinch of each and adjust if needed.
- Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavours to bind together.
- Before serving, give the dip a good stir. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.